When you start a YouTube channel, you need to think about the kind of content that you’re going to be creating and what the purpose of your channel is. If you’re just creating a channel without a niche or theme, then no one is going to find your channel appealing or attractive enough to subscribe to it. The videos you upload all need to be related in some way. For example, there are people who have Cooking channels which all have videos related to meal recipes or live cooking demonstrations. There are also others who have political news-type videos such as The Young Turks. If you’re just starting out on YouTube, then you should study these other niche channels and see what they’re doing. Then, use your own creativity and create an original channel for yourself based on the ideas you’ve learned from other YouTubers.
Even if you have the perfect niche, you must make sure that YouTubers can find your channel on YouTube. Otherwise, your videos will be buried amongst the millions of other videos on YouTube. Below are the 5 best ways to promote YouTube channel so that your channel and its videos will be easy for people to find.
- Catchy Titles – You must be creative in the way you title your videos and YouTube channel. The title of your channel must be interesting and describe what the niche of your channel is in a fun and exciting way. Your video titles must do the same. Don’t just list something like “cat jumps off the roof.” Write something like, “House Cat Leaps 20 feet from Roof and Lands on the Car.”
- Custom Thumbnails – YouTube now lets users add their own custom thumbnail image to their videos in addition to their channel. The thumbnail is the first thing people look at before the title. If the thumbnail does not look attractive or interesting, then people will likely not click on it. So, always use custom thumbnails that are eye catching.
- SEO Keywords – Just like with search optimization for a website, you must also search optimize your YouTube channel and its videos. This means you need to research popular keyword phrases that people are using which relate to the niche of your channel. Once you find these phrases, you just place them in the description box and tag areas of your channel and videos. This will help rank your channel more as people search those same phrases.
- Niche Content – Having a niche for your channel cannot be stressed enough. Your channel must have an overall theme or topic because this will make people interested in that niche to want to keep watching for new videos on your channel. There are two ways you can approach this. You can choose a niche which interests you and will make creating videos for the channel enjoyable for you. Either that or you can research which niches are popular and then try to make a channel just to get in on the action.
- Google AdWords – If you want to give your YouTube channel a quick promotional boost, then you can just run a Google AdWords campaign and pay for clicks to your videos and channel. The good thing about AdWords for YouTube is that the cost per click is a lot cheaper than a traditional AdWords campaign. Instead of paying $0.50 to $1.00 per click, you could be paying just $0.02 to $0.10.